HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

1953 Cover addressed to France & Colonies S Club

More
11 years 2 days ago #35 by cjgriffiths
I purchased a box of Guernsey covers this week and tucked inside was a 1953 Coronation GB FDC addressed to K Le Seur, France & Colonies Stamp Club!

This set to me to wondering, was he an official of the club. And then I thought is there a roll of honour for past officials of the society and the current fellows etc. Being very new to the society please excuse my ignorance!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 hours ago #36 by mlbister
I have been a member since the mid 60s but cannot recall the name. What is peculiar is the name attributed to the Society. It was known as the France & Colonies Stamp club for a very short time (1948-49) but later in 1949, on the occasion of the centenary of the first French stamp, it was renamed the France & Colonies Philatelic Society. I do not understand why the old name was still being used in 1953.

The attachment shows the first membership card of 1948

More
11 years 3 hours ago #37 by mlbister
For some reason the attachment did not travel with the original text. Hopefully it is securely attached to this one.

More
11 years 3 hours ago #38 by mlbister
Third time lucky?
Attachments:

• hfisher
10 years 11 months ago #39 by hfisher
Yup, arrived Ok this time.

Very interesting and I wonder what the programme was like.

In terms of the enquiry, is the address on the cover of kendal Chambers applicable to F&C?

More
10 years 11 months ago #44 by mstyler
The earliest printed material from the Society that I have dates from 1966, and I can see nothing that would throw any light on this query. Le Sueur looks like a Channel Islands name - though that is of little or no help - and I know nothing about Kendal Chambers - though that may just be the address to which letters could be sent to the gentleman. My suggestion would be that the philatelic firm of Harmers had been given an order for First Day Covers to be sent to Mr Le Sueur when he was a member of the France & Colonies Stamp Club (or possibly an officer of the club) and that it continued to use the same name because it had not been informed otherwise.

The name changed to the F&C Philatelic Society in June 1949, but five Newsletters later, in March 1950, the new series of Newsletters began mistakenly with the old name of Stamp Club for the first issue. So it is conceivable that members were still occasionally using the old name even in 1953.

It may be worth publishing this in the Journal to see if any other (older?) member can add any useful information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgriffiths

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds