HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

1863 Cover York to Lyon

• jlfarah
  • Topic Author
5 years 1 month ago #154 by jlfarah
1863 Cover York to Lyon was created by jlfarah
I have a cover with markings that the references I have, mostly British, do show as receiver marks for France. I am including a picture of the front of the cover. In the back are receiving handstamps for Lyon and Marseilles.

Any help as to the markings and why Marseilles is a receiver mark ( port of entry???) would be greatly appreciated.
Juan L. Farah
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #160 by cjhitchen
Replied by cjhitchen on topic 1863 Cover York to Lyon
This looks rather odd and I wonder if some of the marks belong. It has gone through Calais as one would expect. There is a TPO entry mark on the front. The tax mark double lined 25 and the T in a triangle do not really make any sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlfarah

More
5 years 1 month ago #163 by prakelly
Replied by prakelly on topic 1863 Cover York to Lyon
Chris is quite right. There is a lot that does not make sense here.
The tax mark "T" in a triangle was introduced on 1 January 1876 for use on foreign mail and January 1884 for inland mail.. This therefore has all the hall marks of an original letter with additional stamps added to it. that do not belong
Peter Kelly.

• jlfarah
  • Topic Author
5 years 1 month ago #167 by jlfarah
Replied by jlfarah on topic 1863 Cover York to Lyon
Thak you, I appreciate the answers
Juan

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds