HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

Retour a l'envoyeur

• psstockton
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #109 by psstockton
Retour a l'envoyeur was created by psstockton
The cachet "Retour a l'envoyeur" is most often accompanied by the number of the office which has been unable to effect delivery. My understanding is that at the outset this was the number also allocated to the Gros Chiffres cancellation that may have been in existence at the time and is easy to trace. Where can I find a list of the later numbers allocated to offices not in existence at the time of the Gros Chiffres cancellations ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• psstockton
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #110 by psstockton
Replied by psstockton on topic Retour a l'envoyeur
I think I have found my own answer to the question having acquired a copy of " Numeros Blancs 1876-1895 suite deuxieme nomenclature " by Jean Pothion, published by La Poste aux Lettres ( 1980 ) describing how the numbering of offices continued after 1876 when the number was no longer used in the Gros Chiffres cancellations which ended. Numbers continued to be used for the "Retour a l'envoyeur" marks as well as the "Cachet descriptif des chargements. The book identifies offices numbered 6450 to 8859 , the " Numeros Blancs".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds